In my last post, I talked about my procrastination in getting a project done, right down to the wire. What I failed to disclose at the time, was one of my design issues. I was working on a similar quilt with the X's and O's and wanted to do the quilting in large words written in script. I wanted it to say 'hugs and kisses'. After several failed attempts with writing it myself, I defaulted to the computer and printed out what I wanted. I then used tracing paper and drew it out, with a gel pen-it's what was close. I placed the paper on the quilt where I wanted it and proceeded to quilt through the paper along the lines. After tearing away the paper, my plans were to echo quilt around the words to fill the doll quilt. Turns out that the needle pushed the gel ink right through to the fabric.
So I just cut off the top part of the quilt and finished up the X's and O's that I had and I'm happy.
I've spent the last two days in a workshop with Lola Jenkins on Portraits and am very excited about what I'm working on. I'll be sharing about that soon. But Lola is involved in her community and is raising money to buy sewing machine to use to teach minority children in her area to sew. She pulled out a big bag of the most adorable pincushions that she had made to sale, in an effort to raise funds. I think I got the cutest one!
All of those years of glittery shoes that S. has worn, and tomorrow she begins her senior year of high school. My how times flies. I'm thinking of raiding the boxes of the girls childhood clothes and making myself a pincushion from their shoes. A great reminder of the pitter patter of the little feet as I stitch my days away trying to keep busy, avoiding the worry of having teenagers now.